(Prerequisite for Level I Certificates unless student tests out)
Prerequisite: Prerequisite: age 21 or older. Seasoned wine industry professionals may test out of this course.
This Professional Core course is the foundation of the WISE Level I Certification Programs. It provides you with a broad overview of the wine business and wine tasting basics with special emphasis on the history of wine in America, fundamentals of grape growing and winemaking, basics of consumer direct wine sales and service standards, hands on wine tasting and sensory evaluation. Successful completion of this course provides the knowledge and confidence required to be a WISE Professional and is a prerequisite for all four Level I Certificate courses.
Best suited for:
- Current winery employees who want to increase their wine tasting confidence and effectiveness with consumers
- Those who want a broader wine business perspective as they prepare to advance
- Those who need a quick refresher on wine industry basics
Also appropriate for:
- Those with little or no wine product knowledge
- Those with little or no wine industry work experience
- Restaurant and hospitality professionals
- Wine retailer professionals